Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Labels against women

 
 
 
 
The Boss                   Bossy
Persuasive                Pushy
Dedicated                 Selfish
Neat                          Vain
Smooth                   Show-off

             This blog is inspired by the Pantene Philippines advert which, as you can probably guess from the title, is about labels against women which happen on a day-to-day basis without anyone giving them much thought. Above I have put some of the comparative labels for women and men in two lists from the advert. The worrying thing is I guess without even having to think about it you can tell which one is about women. (How did you see though my genius colour swap?!) Doesn't that mean that subconsciously the society we live in has brought us up so we immediately recognise the negative labels for women and the positive ones for men? I think this advert has really made it clear to me that there is deeply integrated sexism is in our society today and the only way I can think of to combat it is though opening our minds: why should women be less accepted in the workplace? Why can't women wear what they want? Why can't women look after their hair with this fantastic shampoo and conditioner range? Oh sorry, that's just the advert speaking again. Or we could just buy Pantene products so they keep making fantastic, awareness raising adverts like that. Their conditioner is actually very nice... :)

Link to advert on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K2kfgW7708


Evie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment